Monday, November 24, 2008

It's Deja Vu...again?

Ahhh, airports. I landed at 1105pm on Thursday, it is now 940pm on Monday, and I am sitting in the food court at Bradley International Airport, in lovely LAX, waiting for my second of two flights today. Although not aesthetically pleasing to the eye, it is a fun place to be, I am afraid to admit. It feels like what I would imagine Ellis Island may have been like- thousands of people, seemingly with every bit of crap they own boxed up and ready for delivery, of every ethnic derivation you can imagine, and all going in a different direction. If you are a people watcher, this is your Mecca, your Shangra-La.
When I was a child and we were going on a long driving trip, my mother would amuse my brother and me by having us play a game where we would locate items starting with the letter A, then B, then C, and so on till we completed the alphabet. I sometimes think that if I was travelling with a friend, and we were in this airport, we could play a similar game, only with people.
I would say, "Try and locate a "fish out of water" American family, with way too much luggage." , to which my travel mate would say, "Got it, they are off to the left, the father is impatiently waiting for the wife while she is in the duty free attempting to buy all the Marlboros and all the Malibu rum." My friend of course would gain extra points for each child that was either crying or behaving badly.
I say au revoir, but remind all that read these words, Bradley International is proof that 'getting there' IS more than half the fun!

No comments: